Ducks sleeping on driveway

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hello! We have about 30 ducks, and at night they sleep on our driveway! We have an acre orchard and that's where their food and water is, yet they insist on sleeping on our driveway. We chase them off but they come back. Any suggestions on how to keep them in the orchard without a huge fence? We have muscovies and they fly, so we can't keep those off our driveway without a huge fence. Also, if we built a coop for them, would they sleep and lay eggs in it?

So are they completely free range, then? They likely won't sleep/lay eggs in the coop without being contained in it for at least a week. My ducks may or may not put themselves to bed in their coop so I have to often shoo them in at night.
If you can figure out what it is about the driveway that they like, that will help you figure out how to keep them off it.

So are they completely free range, then? They likely won't sleep/lay eggs in the coop without being contained in it for at least a week. My ducks may or may not put themselves to bed in their coop so I have to often shoo them in at night.
If you can figure out what it is about the driveway that they like, that will help you figure out how to keep them off it.
I think they sleep on the driveway because they like being near us, and we can't really do anything about that.

Back
Top Bottom