1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks - spaghetti squash

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jan 18, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If I cut a raw spaghetti squash in half, is there any reason the ducks shouldn't have it?
    Or would I need to cook it at all?

I have one on the counter that has been there for quite some time and still looks ok, but we just haven't eaten it ourselves yet. And as the ducks are yelling for a snack, I thought I'd ask if it is safe for them to have.

2. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Our chickens eat raw spaghetti squash, but the ducks pretty much ignore it.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mine will eat cooked. They have trouble with raw.

4. duck_shepherdess

duck_shepherdess Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Squash cooks pretty quickly in the microwave. Poke some holes in it with a sharp knife (about five or more holes.) Microwave it for 12 minutes in a regular size microwave.

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    we throw half a squash in the micro wave for about 10 minutes, cool it off under cold tap water and thrown it in with the ducks.... they eat the ENTIRE thing by the morning...

6. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    The little quacking turdballs are afraid of it!!!

I cooked it up, shredded it up, let it cool and just brought it out to them. They won't get any closer than a foot to it! They are like "No way jose, you are trying to kill us with that stuff. We aren't touching it!"

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Thats what happened when I blew out 4 dozen eggs. I made 2 loads of scrambled eggs for the dogs, cats and ducks...everyone on here says oh yeah, my ducks love scrambled eggs. I took out 2 huge trays of it. The walked round it all day whispering about the big yellow blobs in the yard. They never ate it but the wild birds did and the cats ate it too. Oh well, no more scrambled eggs for them

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    sometimes you gotta leave it out there and let them investigate, they aren't always keen on trying new foods

9. TLWR

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They totally cleaned out the shell by this evening, but they left the guts that I had scraped out on the cutting board for them. I'll just leave it all in the shell tomorrow for the other half.

Anytime I go out with the cutting board with their snack on it, they mob me. Than ran toward me and as soon as they saw it, they changed their mind. It was just so different than the norm for them. They are usually hesitant about new stuff, but they check it out as soon as I put it down at least. Not run away from it before I even put it down LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by