DUCKS STARTED LAYING EGGS PLEASE HELP

duckymomma15

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2015
This is my first time owning ducks ever. My two females began laying eggs and there are now somewhere around 15 eggs in their house. I DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING. how do i tell if the eggs are fetile? The male had been mating with the females before but it was before they began laying. Could te eggs be fertile? I havent done anything with the eggs simply because i dont know what to do. One of the females sits on her eggs at night and she has made a nest but i dont know if the other one does and her nest is smaller. Their nests are side by side in the house. If the eggs are fertile, do i let my ducks take care of it themselves? Or should i get an incubator? Should i just get rid of these eggs and start fresh? Do i need to separate the male from the females? Please help! (P.S. They are welsh harlequin ducks and were born march 9) (P.P.S. They started laying on august 8th)

Yes, the eggs can be fertile. What do you want to do with the eggs? Are you planning to expand your duck family? Have the females stopped laying? Generally, if the female has gone broody, once she's satisfied with the number of eggs she has accumulated, she'll begin sitting and won't leave the nest except for very short breaks. I'm not sure, though, over what period of time this takes place.

There is a 2014-2015 broody duck thread, where you may find members with experience with broodies. Debs Flock gave some good initial information.

If you have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, there is some information in there that is helpful.

I think there are a variety of things you can do, depending on the particular ducks. Some ducks are good mommas, some are not. Some start to sit, but then walk away after a couple of weeks.

If it were me, I would be prepared to move the eggs to an incubator if they are abandoned part way through

@Miss Lydia @Going Quackers

Why aren't you eating them? Duck eggs are delicious! Every morning is like a little trip to the grocery store
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom