Ducks starting to act oddly

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DayKay, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DayKay

DayKay In the Brooder

Nov 9, 2009
    i got some baby ducklings for my birthday in late September. We kept them in the house, then penned with the chickens, until they were able to fly. We then introduced them to the pond, which they liked significantly better than the plastic swimming pool to which they had been limited.

They got to where they'd take themselves to the pond every morning, and come back to the barn every night. Then they stopped coming back to the barn, choosing to stay at the pond like "real ducks," as my daughter said. So they've been happy at the pond, they call to me and come see me when I walk down with food for them.

In the past week, they've started coming up to the barn around sunrise, then again around sunset. They don't go in, they don't eat the food, the just come check in, wander around, and go back to the pond.

Any ideas what they're doing? Looking for? Are they maybe ready to nest and homing instinct has brought them back? If so, I could easily build them their own nesting box (the chickens were clear in their displeasure at the ducks' return!) Or should I just let them stay 1/2 wild and nest wherever down at the pond?

Thanks for any insight and advice!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    They may very well be looking for a place to nest. If they are, I would probably give them a place close to the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: