Ducks stolen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeiaLayers5, Mar 16, 2017.

1. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Recently my husband came across post for our area poultry keepers. A lady was posting to let everyone know that recently she had had some of her ducks taken from her property. There was no evidence of predators or killing, just as if they were grabbed and taken away. I wanted to post and see if anyone has ever had this issue with their birds. I am wondering if we need to worry about placing locks on our run entrance and coop to protect our flock. Has anyone had to worry about this?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

No.....To many Dogs around and we have security signs posted.....

I live in the country......:)

Cheers!

3. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    We also live in country, and have had only one issue with neighboring dog since we have had them. She did not state if she had dogs on her property, but I will say, that although some of my neighbors have outside dogs, I am not a supporter of keeping dogs outdoors. Not trying to be controversial, but they are family and not possessions to be left out in the elements. It was not predator but someone who took them. I am just trying to find out how common this might be.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

My Dogs do not live out full time in the elements either.....The big dogs sleep in my basement ..I have a walkout so they are out all day and in at night ... If your concerned? Lock the pen up... ;)

Best of luck....

Cheers!

5. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Or a sensor light works great!! Just to alert you or startle a visitor... a lock works too!!

We're in the country but I love the lights turning in even if it's just my cat [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  6. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    Good to hear. Sorry we had a neighbor that they had dogs who only lived full outdoors and while it did keep predators away mostly, we could tell that all of them had a lot of health problems and were told by their owners they were near death. It just made me really sad. We spoil our furbaby and hard to see other dogs not given that same love. We do have sensor light, but I am more worried about during day and not night, Hubby is loaded and ready if they come at night. More worried about when we are at work and since we commute a bit of a drive, that someone might try it when we are gone. Guess I will have to get a lock just to make myself feel better. It never occurred to me that we would have to worry about this until I saw that post.

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If it was only some of her ducks, I'd still suspect a predator.
    I've always found my chickens if a predator has taken them, but I've never found my duck after they've been taken by a predator.

If you are concerned with somebody stealing your ducks, set up a wireless camera or a game camera at the entrances to your yard.

8. LeiaLayers5

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    We did put a trail cam out after a predator kill recently. I guess we should be okay. Just overly worried i guess since we lost some of ours to other causes and its still raw loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by