ducks stopped eating... no signs of sickness

katze

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 19, 2013
Catskills New York
Hi,
this is my first year having ducks, and its been a tough one. I have 2 male Pekins, both under a year old, and in the past 2 days they appear to have lost all interest in feeding time. previously they went crazy for food, and all of a sudden they just simply stopped eating.

I have tried all their favorite things like fresh oatmeal, vegetables, cracked corn, hardbolied eggs, and of course the pellets they normally devour.

factors to consider are: its been quite cold up here in upstate New York, in the low teens at night, so their pond has been frozen.
they are kept in a small shelter at night with fresh hay and a heat lamp. (i have tried feeding them both inside and out)
and last week a roaming dog took our little female duck in the early AM hours... so I have even considered that they might be traumatized from that experience?

they both appear quite healthy..even robust. they are active still, they preen themselves, and they eagerly line up and act like they are going to eat when its time for food... and then nothing. they both drink plenty of fresh water, and their eyes are clear and their feathers are white and clean.

I just dont know what to do. we have lost one other male a few months ago to sickness, and now our female was taken, and I am worried sick about these two little guys. any advice or suggestions you could give me is appreciated... thank you

I have a few thoughts, but no real strong impression about what's wrong.

Yes, they do experience trauma, and grief.
They could have a mild stomach virus.
Is the bedding getting moldy?
Has there been less exercise, so not as much need for energy (food)?

Something like Nutri-Drench in some water would provide some calories and a few vitamins, which might help.

Please keep us posted.
hugs.gif

And
welcome-byc.gif

Amiga- Had no idea that they go through trauma.
Also, I have a very large pond with stream that they are in all the time, but this week it froze so they are not swimming as much.
I thought they needed food everyday, which I believe I overfeed sometimes, but it makes a lot of sense since they have not been swimming at all and we have snow here now and they are not active.
Bedding is clean/dry I change often.
I am going to get theNutri-Drench
Great advice! Thank you.

katze,

most of the time, they do need food all the time, and in cold weather they really need food, to keep warm.

So it's a head-scratcher, but they definitely have been through some emotional trauma this week, so that could affect them.

When Michele died, Romy (her BFF) really got the blues. A few days after Shelly left us, Romy had the exact same symptoms Shelly had had right before she died. I rushed her to the vet and all we could find was perhaps a little calcium deficiency, but nothing acute.

Going threw same thing with 3 pekin males except they have not experienced in trauma buts strange they used to such piggies

:welcome
Are they pooping OK? If not, it could indicate a digestive problem. My ducks had days when they wouldn't go after their food 1st thing, preferring instead to forage or swim. Other days, they would devour their feed right away, depending on their mood. I hope they are hungrier today!

Hi,
this is my first year having ducks, and its been a tough one. I have 2 male Pekins, both under a year old, and in the past 2 days they appear to have lost all interest in feeding time. previously they went crazy for food, and all of a sudden they just simply stopped eating.

I have tried all their favorite things like fresh oatmeal, vegetables, cracked corn, hardbolied eggs, and of course the pellets they normally devour.

factors to consider are: its been quite cold up here in upstate New York, in the low teens at night, so their pond has been frozen.
they are kept in a small shelter at night with fresh hay and a heat lamp. (i have tried feeding them both inside and out)
and last week a roaming dog took our little female duck in the early AM hours... so I have even considered that they might be traumatized from that experience?

they both appear quite healthy..even robust. they are active still, they preen themselves, and they eagerly line up and act like they are going to eat when its time for food... and then nothing. they both drink plenty of fresh water, and their eyes are clear and their feathers are white and clean.

I just dont know what to do. we have lost one other male a few months ago to sickness, and now our female was taken, and I am worried sick about these two little guys. any advice or suggestions you could give me is appreciated... thank you

A few weeks later and I feel that because the female who was the leader and is now gone, they seemed a bit lost without her.
Also, I gave them Apple Cider Vinegar in the water and it seemed to help lots.
I think I also spoiled them with giving them too much peas/lettuce and they ignored their pellets. Also, I stopped feeding in the morning and evening and instead tried just the evening when I put them in for the night and also filled a large tub of water and placed it in their home and I throw some food in there and they are now eating again.

Back
Top Bottom