Ducks stopped laying eggs 3 months ago!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckOff, Oct 19, 2016.

1. DuckOff

DuckOff New Egg

Oct 19, 2016
    Hi,

We have one ancona and one cayuga raised together, born last November. They began to lay in May and were very regular. When July rolled around, it got hot (we live in New Orleans) and they stopped laying. We changed their pond water, nothing. We thought maybe a pest such as a possum or rat might be stealing the eggs, but we haven't seen any crushed shells and it's been 3 months. The ducks seemed to have gone through a molt in September, but are looking good as new. Does anyone have a guess as to what might be going on?

Hypotheses:

1) The weather has not cooled significantly since July
    2) A pest waits in a nearby tree in the wee morning hours for the ducks to lay, and quickly swipes the eggs
    3) Said pest stressed the ducks into early menopause
    4) This is normal for the region

Thanks for any help or suggestions! I thought about putting a baby monitor in the duck area and sitting up all night with a slingshot... Hoping to eat eggs rather than crispy duck

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I would chalk it up to shorter days and the molt. Molts run 2 to 8 weeks. If they took a long time to molt they wouldn't lay at that time. Add the hot weather and that reduces lay. Usually my Ancona stop laying this time of year and start back in January or February laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by