1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks stopped laying eggs !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaChic21, Apr 20, 2011.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have 3 female ducks. They turned 1 year old this month. All winter long, they gave us sucha tasty eggs however, they stopped 2 months ago [​IMG]. Does anyone know why ? Will they start laying eggs again ?

2. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    bumber [​IMG]

3. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I really thought someone will respond, bumber [​IMG]

4. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Ok, i will respond but i don,t know much. I just asked the same question to my friend i bought call ducks from. My original calls i got last summer were laying eggs in Feb. and then stopped. She only layed six eggs, but she was young. She is a year this month and she is spending alot of time mating and hanging out in a box in the coop. She is acting like she's getting ready to lay. My friend said she will start again. So keep your fingers crossed and it should happen. I guess they take a break. What kind of ducks do you have? Angie.

5. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Also if you have them free ranging they may be "hiding" them. Just keep hope they will start again because they will maybe a molt? never know.

6. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Thank you for responding [​IMG]
    I have 1 black runner, I know that for sure but the other 2 I don't know.
    1 is brown
    [​IMG]
    And the 3rd one is black and white.
    [​IMG]

I use to free range them and I've searched everywhere possible to see if they did lay their egg, but I couldn't find it. One time for few days, I couldn't see their eggs and it was in the winter. And couple of days later I saw their eggs bared under a hay [​IMG]. I felt like a little kid, I was so happy. But now they moved into their new run and coop and they are not free ranging. I certainly hope they will lay more eggs. I prefer duck eggs anyday [​IMG]
    I wish you luck too, hope your ducks will lay soon.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  7. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Hummmmm well a friend of mine had her ducks laying in the chickens nests. She had no clue her ducks were laying and was accidentally selling them with her chicken eggs. [​IMG]

8. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]. I did see their eggs few times in the chicken's nest. At the begining, if they layed their eggs in the chicken nest box, I wouldn't know the difference either, but since I know how their eggs looks like, I can tell them apart. The second day at their new run and coop, I found 1 egg on the floor (run's floor). I was first happy maybe they're back laying again but it was too small to be theirs [​IMG]

9. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Oh did you recently move them? Is that when they stopped laying? It could be the reason why they stopped laying

10. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    They stopped laying 2 months ago and we moved them last Sunday to their new coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by