ducks stopped laying in august

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Elizabeth1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Elizabeth1

Elizabeth1 New Egg

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me why my ducks have stoppped laying for so long . i was getting eggs regulalry on a daily basis up until the end of of august.Then nothing atall. i had 8 ducks but sadly have lost 2 of them.( due to old age ) so down to six which are about 2/3 yrs old .they are fed layers also corn daily .they also get sraps during the day . they have a garden shed that they live in with plenty warm bedding .also let out about the same time every mornig and locked up every night ..they all seem happy enough just no eggs ,would appreciate any help or comments thank you

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Laying issues come up sometimes, and are not always easy to diagnose. Try to be patient with yourself and the ducks.

It seems to me that some ducks are more prone to nutritional deficiencies. A diet that works for one may not be optimal for another. Also, sometimes I think that ducks that appear fine could actually be doing better given a more appropriate level of nutrients. But few of us can afford to do expensive and extensive blood and fecal tests!

As long as they seem active and in good feather, not too skittery for their breed, I wouldn't lose sleep.

Try some poultry vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics. You can get them at a feed store, often. Online you can find them, too. Calcium and vitamin D as well as protein are essential, so read labels and try to figure out if they could use more of any of those.

My runners are taking a vacation from laying right now. That's not all bad - they are good layers and after almost two years need a rest. I have introduced two new ducks to the flock and this is the first time we've added members. I also slightly reduced their protein intake by cutting back on the amount of cat kibble added to their diet as a supplement. Those two things, as well as it being winter, are reasons for a laying hiatus.

Sometimes ducks can get stressed by things we don't notice. Could be a dog or raccoon started hanging around too close for comfort last August. A low-grade infection could be the problem, too.

What breed do you have? Some breeds are more seasonal layers than others.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, and I just noticed something:

[​IMG]

4. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Hi Elizabeth, I don't have ducks myself (yet), but I've read that breeds used for egg production generally start to slow down at about 3 years. So, in addition to Amiga's excellent suggestions, it's possible your ducks are hitting their declining years. If this is the case, it's my understanding production will start later and end earlier, with fewer eggs.

Also, when was the last time your ducks molted?

Tahai.

5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    It is hard to tell sometimes just like Amiga said. Two things that did jump out at me is that you said they are 2 to 3 years old and that they stopped laying in August. A 1 year duck will often lay not stop if its the right breed. But after that they do start to slow down especially in winter. August seems a bit early to me though.

Some answers to questions that may help someone here give a better answer. Are you in the Northern hemisphere (currently in winter)? What breed of ducks? Tahai already asked about molting. Ducks will stop laying during a molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by