1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks stopped laying with molt 3 months ago

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeatherD42, Sep 19, 2016.

1. HeatherD42

HeatherD42 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I have two Ancona ducks. They stopped laying at the beginning of July because of a molt. I expected them to start back up again after two months. What's up with this? Do I have to wait until spring? :( I don't have supplemental light on them

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Sometimes my girls go on extended strike after a molt and don't lay for months. Other times they start right back up again.

3. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    It's so confusing. I miss my lovely duck eggs! I had two Welsh Harlequins last year who laid into October without molting. But then they got sick and died from West Nile so I don't know what is typical, or if they would have molted eventually. We've had an extremely hot and dry summer, so perhaps the heat has contributed. Also we incorporated the new ducklings around July, so maybe stress? I've resigned myself to the idea of feeding five ducks with no hope of eggs till February, lol. But if they make it out of mosquito season alive I will be counting my blessings!

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Ugh I'm right there with you! I had my last laying female go broody and hatch her clutch June 4. I hatched out 24 ducklings this spring from her and 3 other females. I have her and 5 other females (who are all just about 20 weeks) and really was hoping she would have started up again.

I haven't had an egg since man, I don't know, Easter?

Every morning my husband chides them "why do we even keep you ducks?!"

5. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016
    We keep them because they are cute and entertaining! :D And when they are laying, the eggs are so wonderful!

My girls started early, in January, but I thought I'd get eggs for more than 6 months out of the year! Perhaps the babies will be better layers since they're Welsh Harlequin/Ancona cross

6. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

Hah! I know why I keep them, it's the other half that isn't convinced!

7. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Hopefully yours will pick up again. Are you using any supplemtal lighting? The photo period is on its way down :(

8. HeatherD42

Mar 23, 2016

I was including you in my we ;)

I turned the lights off after the solstice, so that probably also contributed. It was like the perfect storm of duck stressors, lol!

I had the lights on to encourage the girls to get going last fall because they were new adults that had never laid before. But I've decided not to continue lighting because I'd like to keep my girls producing eggs for as many years as possible and I don't want to wear them out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by