Ducks stuck flying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nmorris, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nmorris

nmorris New Egg

Apr 4, 2016
    I have 8 mallards - ordered them as day-olds, they spend most of the day in my yard/pond (getting fed) and most nights in the neighbors yard/pond (they sometimes have Canadian geese). They can fly and will often fly over the split rail fence to get to the neighbors and back or to get away from an animal (we have coyotes so i needed something a bit wild). I don't usually feed them after dusk because they have usually gone next door by them, but last night for some reason i went out to check on them. I called for them and some "wild" ducks flew over "what a coincidence" i thought, but 30 seconds later they went over again, and again and again and I realized they were my ducks! And they were calling to me every time they went over. After about 20 minutes of me shaking their food and calling to them they tried to land, two collided (but recovered), three landed in the pond and three in the yard, and then another 10 minutes later the other two (very ungracefully) landed in the water. It was dark dusk by then, there was just enough light to make out the pond and the yard and i think they were just confused and didn't know where to land. Hopefully they learned their lesson and will not get stuck in the sky again!

Has anyone else had this problem?

Do I need to check them every night before bed (they will NOT stay in a coop at night)?

Should I get like flood lights or something for them to land with if they do it again?

How long could they last flying? they are about 4 months old now. i know when they migrate they will fly long distances but circling the house...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by