Ducks stuck to inside of shell????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BackSwampGirl, Nov 26, 2008.

1. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    I had some duck eggs in my bator,and they were over due and I could not never hear them peep in shell. Don`t know what happened.And mother in law cooked some and she said her eggs was stuck so bad,she thought she would never get them peeled.And have not been giving oyster shells.So I come home and finally decided to try to get them out.They had wiggled and rocked.But could not get out.So their beaks was stuck to the inside of the lining of the shell.And I lost all 5 of them. They were at full maturity. Never peeped inside of the shell or piped.Don`t know what happened.Help!!!! If anyone might know what could have happened info would help.Thanks Sandra Mystery!!!!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Humidity during first 25 days 65% and last 3 days 80% is what I do. If they internally pipped and they where stuck to the shell humidity was to low.

Humidity that is to high will cause them to drown when they attempt to break the airsac open.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Cooking fresh eggs. There is always a problem peeling them. You will find some ways to help avoid the problem in the recipes section.

4. cayuga mommy

cayuga mommy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    This definatly sounds like a humidity problem.
    I losted 1 duckling my first hatch due to humidity problems. Well, actually it was my own stupidity. I had 5 hatch and one pipped but, it didn't get farther then that. So, I assumed it dead. But, kept it in the bator a few days more just to be sure. Well, it turned out that I had forgotten to add more water. I still kick myself every time I remind myself. But, every hatch since then has been smooth sailing. I usually get a 90-100% hatch rate.
    The first is always the worst ( IMO ).
    Do you have an fan in your incubator? Or are you still airin' it?
    If you have a still air. Then I suggest getting a fan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by