Ducks Suddenly Crossing Busy Road

MrKnittle

Chirping
May 6, 2020
NW/West Central Ohio
Hello,
I have four Buff Orpington hens and one drake that live on 2 acres with a 1/3 farm and fish pond. They are a year old this month. Up until yesterday evening, they have free ranged all over the yard, tree areas, and pond, but NEVER even set foot on the gravel berm of the busy road. I caught them on the other side of the road twice last night, stopping traffic as they waddled across the road like they owned it.
All of the hens follow the drake everywhere, so I'm pretty sure he's the one that made the decision to put them all in danger. He's not aggressive (not really friendly, either), and I hate to cull him or rehome him.
I am really dreading the expense of putting up a fence that runs the length of my property. I also don't want to keep them cooped up in a run from now on, either. I am looking into an enclosure that can be weighted in the pond for them to have access to it, but where they wouldn't have access to the rest of the yard.
I am going to keep a close eye on them today, and if they even approach the road, they'll be on house arrest for the rest of the day until I figure something out. I'm hoping it was just a fluke last night, but now that they've done it, I'm afraid they'll continue to do it.
I'm twisted up over this and mainly needed to discuss it, but any suggestions would be welcome, too.
Thanks.

I've been in a similar situation. Only mine are runner ducks who, thankfully, are terrible at flying. Most of my property is fenced -- except a 50-foot-length that runs parallel to a busy, paved rural road. In the first year, it wasn't unheard of for them to march out into the roadway and scour the ditch for goodies.

All I had to do was put up a 2-foot woven wire fence to deter mine, and everyone now safely free ranges during the day.

I hope you find a solution to keep yours safe.

Back
Top Bottom