1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ducks swimming forever

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gryeyes, May 13, 2010.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Okay, not "forever" but for a really long time!

I got a stock tank for a duck pool and put them in it the first day I filled it up. They loved it, splashed and swam around in it with abandon, but got out after about 45 minutes.

[​IMG]

Didn't have a ramp for them yet; scared me to death when they jumped out to the ground.

[​IMG] and [​IMG]

Put a ramp up, but also started free ranging in the back yard the same day. The back yard had a bigger draw than the pool. And, I think, the ducks hadn't tried the ramp, it looked daunting, and they kept on free ranging. Yesterday evening, after two full days of keeping the chickens and the ducks in the run, I saw the ducks looking wistfully at the pool.

So I picked them up and put them into it. Wahoo! Happy, happy ducks! Louie got out after about 45 minutes. Thelma stayed in the pool.

As dusk approached, all the chickens went to coop to roost. The ducks USUALLY joined them. Not this time. Louie hung around the pool. Thelma continued to float lazily in it.

I finally went out as it got dark enough for solar lights to come on, and managed to capture Thelma and put her on the ramp. She jumped off the ramp, and she and Louie waddled off to the coop, but the automatic door had closed long before. So I herded 'em into the downstairs pen of the A-Frame coop, where they used to sleep before they decided they liked going into the coop with the chickens.

So, my question is this: is it NORMAL for a duck to want to spend so much time floating in a pool??? Even into the darkness? I know they don't like to go into dark places... It just really worried me.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suspect they were just having a really good time. At least, Thelma was, and Louie did not want to leave her.

3. Happyflower

Happyflower Songster

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    Oh, ducks and water goes together like peanut butter and jelly![​IMG] Now my ducks don't have an above ground pool, mine is built in, but I think the ducks feel the safest place is in the water. I see my ducks in the water more than on the ground, they sleep in the water too.

They look happy, I saw their beaks curled up! [​IMG]

It was in the upper 70's here today after 4 days of rain and my little rescue duckling loved his first day playing in the puddles. Do your chickens want to roost with wet ducks?

http://thelyricalwoodshed.blogspot.com/

4. Beryl

Beryl Songster

Hi gryeyes, no sign of them using the ramp yet ? Was my idea any good to you ? I do hope they can soon find their own way into such a great pool. My Thelma and Louise spend ages in the pool, not into the dark though. Maybe they were confused about how to get out and so stayed in the pool. How about a combination of steps and a ramp together ? I thilnk as long as neither has too much of a step or incline hopefully they will use them. have you tried putting some lettuce or greenery into the pool to try and entice them ??? Do hope they soon learn. Beryl

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Beryl, your ramp idea was great. I cobbled together something

[​IMG]

and although the CHICKENS and the DOG use the ramp, neither duck has used it yet.

[​IMG]

The chickens march up the ramp and drink out of the pool, standing in a row of 3 or 4 along the tank's edge.

6. Beryl

Beryl Songster

Hi gryeyes, glad you got something sorted. Please do not think I am being critical but the first ramp after the paving slabs may be slightly too steep. Is there a way you could put a longer bit of wood there thus making the incline lower ? That worked for ours and both bits are screwed together.Love the pics of the dog and yes my chickens even walk down the side of the pool to get a drink ! I wouldn't mind but there are loads of water containers all around the coop !!!! Good luck and keep me posted
    [​IMG]
    Once they have been in there will be no stopping them ! Can you try putting some treats on the ramp to entice them ??? I know it is so frustrating when you know of the fun they are missing out on by not going in by themselves !

7. Beryl

Beryl Songster

Did u have any luck getting ducks into their pool ?
    I do hope so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by