Ducks & Temp changes in winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bydhatch, Dec 11, 2016.

1. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Hello all!
    This is my first winter with ducks and I have a few questions regarding temp change.
    First off, does temp change still bother them as adults?
    Also, is bringing them inside (about 65 degrees Fahrenheit) when it's cooler outside (30-40 degrees Fahrenheit) bad for them?
    I bring them in for a bit in their diapers every now and then.
    Finally, what is too cold?!?!?!

2. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Mine are out now at 35. I can see them out my window, and everyone is running around playing by the pools ( you know what I mean by playing? Lol)
    I don't think it's a good idea to switch em back and forth warm cold a lot, not sure why, but my gut says no. I don't know where you live, but mine can definitely handle 30 degree temps. Hasn't gotten colder than that in the day yet, but they have a draft free house for nighttime(gotten to 14 so far at night) so I'm not worried. They don't huddle or anything(at night in the coop).
    I think you can tell if they are too cold. Shivering, not moving, fostbite...

3. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks have been swimming in the ice cold creek for the past few days (the temp is similar to BvBs area). They are all doing and acting fine!

4. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC

Wow! New Jersey! It's a little colder where you are! I'm in North Carolina. One night last week it got down to about 22 and they slept huddled together. That next morning at 25 my male would take two steps and lay down and my female kept a leg pulled up. Still okay?
    As far as indoors they walk in on their own and are provided water to cool themselves if they get too warm. I know ducklings shouldn't be exposed to change but adults? I am taking them with me on a trip after Christmas (crazy duck Mom alert. Lol.) and want to find out what's safe for them.
    Thanks for your help.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Well what ducks do you have?

6. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Welsh Harlequin.

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Ok so that's not too bad. If you had call ducks or something I would worry more about the cold.

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Ducks can handle cold temps.....It is Wind chill that gets them.........Has Been extremely COLD here in Alberta.......-24 Celsius with wind chills into the -40s.......Brrrrrrr....Had mine in the garage for two nights.....Other than that Ducks are fine....

-12 Celsius today, wind chill -24.......As long as you provide wind blocks and straw to lay in they do great.....Mine are all outside and Happy Ducks........

Cheers!

9. bydhatch

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for your input! It's supposed to be 17 Fahrenheit and windy next week. The babies are coming in to the garage!

1 person likes this.
  10. DKFarms

DKFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2012
    Belton, MO
    Mine are all adults (7 Anconas), but we're expected to get to -3 F on Monday night. They have a duck house they go into (4x3 and 3.5 ft tall), and it has shavings in it. So far everything has gone well, even the water issues.

Will I need to bring them into the garage when it gets this cold??? Their duck house is closed up at night, it has a bit of hardware cloth going around the south side of the bottom, and the roof is normally open about an inch or two for ventilation. I've put shavings in, tho, now since it's cold, and have covered a bit of the bottom ventilation area. It can still breathe, but stiff winds can't get in.

Do I need to do anything different???

Thanks, this is my first winter with them too.

Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by