1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks that make good pets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ally Rose, May 12, 2012.

1. Ally Rose

Ally Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    NJ
    What breeds of ducks make good pets? I heard that runner ducks do and mallards but i cant get mallards where im from. My family doesnt like runners so are there any other ducks that make good pets out there? THANKS![​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    All ducks have the potential to make good pets. It has alot more to do with how you raise them vs their individual breed.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto.

Love'em up and it usually produces friendly if not very sweet ducks.

I have runners and they are not skittish, and are sweet and friendly. And funny. And good company. And did I mention they are beautiful? And bright, very bright . . . .

4. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I love my Pekins :) With that said we have muscovies too and a runner! Oh and 2 buff geese! All of them are wonderful pets!

5. Missy60

Missy60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia

I love our Peking duck she is so friendly and funny. We also have 2 Rouens but it's not fair to them to say they are not good pets because they are not free range yet so they only get out when my grand daughter is home. They are at that stage where they run scared all the time and are hard to catch sometimes. Well one of them is really hard to catch and is not as brave about anything as the other one.

6. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    My pekin has been a wonderful pet to my family. She's very sweet and very social, always wanting to be with us. She's never been one to run. She'd rather be up in somebodies lap getting attention and a good petting :lol:

7. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Runners are so sweet though... Anyway, it really depends on how you handle the ducklings and their individual personalities. For examples, my two rouens, Mabel and Dipper, have very different personalities. They had the same amount of handling as babies, and Mabel still enjoys a pet or two if she is laying down, loves being sang and talked to, and will eat out of my hand. But being picked up? Out of the question. Dipper on the other hand will leave the safety of the flock just to run up to me. He also will hop in my lap and let me snuggle him. He once actually climbed in my shirt while I was laying on my tummy in the grass, reading. When I do this, he also loves to lay on my butt or back and preen my hair. Also, my khaki campbell girls, Wendy and Amethyst like to join Dipper if he is laying on my back and will snuggle up on my legs. They also occasionally crawl into my lap for pets, but not as often as Dipper.

BTW, since they are just a few months old (got them May 20th when they were a week old), I don't know for sure about their genders, and their names reflect what we tentatively think they are. Also, drakes are known to be quieter and a bit more snuggly, as the females can get nippy. It all depends on the bird though.

8. apricotvalleywf

apricotvalleywf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Millbrook, Ontario
    My Coop
    I find that Runner's can be heavily influenced by young goslings. We tried this with Toulouse's and it paid off huge. We can feed the runner clan by hand (about 15 or so).

9. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    I think runners are heavily influenced by any animals. [​IMG]My runner follows any passing animal around the yard. Most ducks feel more safe with a crowd, but the runners are often so timid that the only way they will begin to warm up to you is if they are led by another animal. After that they're very sweet though. Just cautious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by