Ducks & their eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blenderbender, Mar 26, 2015.

1. blenderbender

blenderbender Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Howdy.... I have a pair of Indian Runners and this my my first experience with ducks. They're almost a year old and the female never started laying last year before winter set in. It's still not quite Spring here in NW Pa, and we've still had mostly cold, freezing nights and I hadn't been checking to see if the gal was laying until yesterday. I was quite surprised to find a dozen eggs in her box. I can't imagine how old they might be, or at least the first ones she laid...... I wish she'd pop em out with a date stamp [​IMG]. There was a freshly laid one this morning which went straight to the frying pan for me. I'm guessing that I should pitch the rest but am looking for ideas for other uses rather than just throw them out. I'm assuming they'd be okay (cooked) for my dogs in limited quantities?

thanks.... Gary

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I've had ducks do that too...they are pretty good at hiding them!! I have cooked old eggs for my chickens with no bad effects...they love them. I throw them in a skillet shells and all and scramble them up...make sure they don't resemble the eggs that they lay when you feed them or the chickens might start eat their eggs...not a fun thing to un train! I've done the same for the ducks, but i baby the ducks and they usually get the fresh eggs. I guess your dogs would like them too, and should be fine but if you open one and it smells like really rotten sulfur kinda smell, i would chunk it.

3. blenderbender

Jul 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Thanks...... the dogs are loving them. I never would have thought of feeding ducks their own eggs, guess it just sounded too weird.

4. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Try putting them in a bowl of water. If they sink or just one end slightly floats up, they're fresh. If they float, toss 'em.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  5. blenderbender

Jul 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Ya know... I used to know that.... it's a moot point now as they're all frozen. I wonder if that's still meaningful once they're thawed.

6. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Probably depends on whether they've cracked or not. If they're not cracked, I think they'd be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by