Ducks toenails

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 3 Ducks.
    The Male Mallard and Female Buff are about 5-6 months old. My older male monty is between 11-17 years old ( rescue) .

I am worried about their nails. I dont want them growing so long that they are uncomfortable but I dont know what is best. I have noticed that they are quite long and some are curved under.And those that are not curved are razor sharp. I have the marks on my arms to tell me that.
    They have dirt, a wooden platform, and rocks to walk on, that is helping to file them down. But I am not sure If I should do anything else. I dont want them to become uncomfortable or in pain. They are not tamed exactly. Monty has been wild his entire life until about 2 months ago when I rescued him and the other two arent that tame either. I can walk around them or with in a foot of them with no trouble. But when I go to touch them they run out of the way.

Any advice?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Normally wear-down on the grounds cement, etc will be enough to take care of it. But someitmes you just need to clip those nails that refuse to grow right.

You can use dog or cat clippers to carefully trim the nails. You should be able to see the quick so you won't clip too close. 1/4 inch is plenty close.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks! I have dog clippers but have miss placed them, would it be safe to use goat hoof trimmers or should I keep hunting for the dog clippers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by