ducks trying to mount/ride chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by superchemicalgirl, Oct 25, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have 2 mallard x call ducks that are about 2 months old. They've been in a "temporary" enclosure for about 6 weeks, outside. All has been relatively fine until today. I came home from work and the ducks were GONE, must have flown over. However, a few minutes later I hear them quacking and they're out by the chicken run fence. They look happy.

I come outside and the chickens run to the gate as usual (because I *might* bring them a treat or let them out), and the ducks run to the gate too (on the outside):

[​IMG]

So I figure all's well... the ducks haven't run away (yet) and they come running to me when I come out the human house door and they love getting grapes and meal worms.

And so I let the chickens out to free range.

Well as soon as the chickens started coming out of the gate the ducks (both of them) started squirming their little heads up the chickens back and jumping on them like they were trying to mate/mount or ride/play with the chickens.

So... has anyone ever seen this before between ducks and chickens? I've read a few other posts where ducks (of both sexes) mount each other in a fun/play or in a springtime hormonal urge kind of way, but with chickens??!! No one seemed to get hurt and the chickens were thoroughly freaked out about the whole thing, running from these strange creatures that quack and try to ride them. So was it fun (they want to be part of the herd?) or was it mean/dominance?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like you may have 2 drakes, and chickens and drakes don't make for good companions, Your ducks are too young to actually mate with the chickens but if they could they could injure them or kill them, totally different anatomy.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Was does it mean? It means that your ducks will eventually kill your chickens if they continue to try to breed with them. You will have to separate them. A duck's "breeding tool" is different from a rooster's "tool". Are both of your ducks drakes?

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Sounds like you may have 2 drakes, and chickens and drakes don't make for good companions, Your ducks are too young to actually mate with the chickens but if they could they could injure them or kill them, totally different anatomy.

WOW! We posted at the exact same time and said the exact same thing. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

WOW! We posted at the exact same time and said the exact same thing. [​IMG]

Maybe we are long lost sisters, but more than likely I'd be more a gandma! [​IMG]

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Wow... that's a shock. I hear some distinct quacking and I thought for sure one of them was a girl because they look so different...

[​IMG]

So even if they're much, much smaller than my chickens they'll cause problems?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:yes chickens and ducks mate in a completely different way, and ducks can do serious damage to a chicken. even kill them when trying to mate with them. Maybe you do have a male and female and they are just trying out their dominance on the chickens, but I sure would keep an eye on them as they get older.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Ok... wow. Thanks for the info. I'd rather know ASAP with winter coming whether I need to get rid of the ducks or not as chickens are my priority (I'm an accidental duck owner). I'd hate to spend all that time daily unfreezing water for the ducks to have me need to get rid of them. Too bad those stinkers won't get their curled tail feathers until much later for me to be sure of what they are.

I was just hoping it was harmless behavior (especially since both were doing it). [​IMG]

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I had a crested and a mallard that started doing that years ago. Well, now they have their own condo living unit away from the general population .

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Yes theres no reason why you can't keep the ducks just keep them separate from the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by