Ducks, turkeys and Chickens together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Country Dreamin', Jan 25, 2011.

1. Country Dreamin'

Country Dreamin' Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Given enough space, can ducks and chickens live together? Can they free-range together and live in a coop together? Or just free-range together?

What about Turkeys...can they live with ducks and chickens?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Yes they can but when they are young to want to brood the ducks by themselves. They sling water everywhere and that isn't good for chicks & poults.

Steve

3. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I have 4 chickens and 5 ducks all living together very peaceably. They share food and water, but I do have separate stations set up and a gate between their runs if I need to separate them for some reason. They do have their own houses and they all go into their respective ones by themselves when it gets dark. When it's been really cold, I have found the ducks in the chicken coop (they have a heat lamp in there if it gets below 20F) and I just leave them there, but I don't put any food or water in with them as I normally would if it was just the chickens. I also let them out earlier so no one gets restless and shnarky and they get access to their food and water.

I agree about raising them together. The ducklings make a huge mess with their water. They also grow much faster and start to take over. I had mine in brooders where they could see each other and interact, but not actually be together. I eventually separated them completely (put the ducklings in the bathroom near the tub and the laundry room!). When they finally all went outside, there was no problem at all, they were together right from the start.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. DrinkTheRainbow

DrinkTheRainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Altoona, Wisconsin
    Before winter we had a trio of Black Swedes with our chickens and pigeons outside "free-ranging" and they were fine but the ducks kinda hogged the water.

5. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I house my chickens and duck together. Instead of having water in the coop it is in a different location. Right now everyone is in an old barn and I have one corner for water. I don't have any heat lamp on anyone and they are still doing fine.

Do not know anything about turkeys but am researching it right now, DH wants to get a few.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Ducks and chickens can be raised together no problem, I would just keep the water outside of the coop. The ducks will make everything wet which isn't good for the chickens.

7. greekbioguy

greekbioguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    i would keep every species in separate coops.they can free range together. different species of bird eat different feeds (don't feed ducks chicken feed they have completely different dietary requirements) just because they are all birds it does not mean they have the same needs (cows and people are both mammals and i doubt people can survive eating hay and grass) also mixing species helps diseases spread easier

8. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    We free range them all together, No problems or disease.

Rotate the pastures quite a bit.

The ducks will come in at night, but will go their own way and stay near the water.

Turkeys and chickens get along even when fighting over worms and bugs.

just my .02

9. HiddenHill Heretic

HiddenHill Heretic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Santa Cruz, Caliphas
    I run all my chooks and ducks tigether with my turkey and goose. No Problemo

10. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Now, may i add a qualifier?

How about adding young grown out chicks (once they are large enough, that is) to an already present flock of ducks?

I wanna sell ducks to make room for chooks, but the ducks may not sell at all

OR

they may not sell before the chicks are grown up to size................... hence my question

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by