Ducks Vibrating Their Necks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I am trying to introduce a new duck to my flock, and whenever my flock gets close to the new duck their necks start vibrating. What exactly does this mean?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Vibrating? Like, jerking really quickly? I haven't seen that here, I don't think.

3. Luminide

Luminide Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    I've seen that multiple times- I've taken to thinking of it as a really aggressive action. My pekins in particular are prone to this. When they see a new duck invading their area, they do this before lashing out to bite hard or shove with their beaks. The vibrating stops when the new ducks are put away or they're all distracted with food. If I were you, I'd give the new duck a fenced area of its own until you can allow it out with the others without this vibrating happening.

4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Its not jerking or if it is, it is VERY fast jerking. It looks like shivers but only on their necks and they only do this when they see the other duck. Its very strange.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wow…. thanks, all, I have not seen that. huh. Aren't ducks something else?

7. alexwilko

alexwilko Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2014
    My male duck (call) does this before he decides to throw himself at my poor dog who is usually minding his own business pottering around the garden! He has been known to do this to my 2yr old daughter too.... We all find it highly entertaining! It's a good way to know when he is about to charge!!! Ha ha!!!! The funniest is the dogs face! He looks at the duck as if to say "wat the hell r u doing, freak!" [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] my gander does it too which usually means I am seriously thinking about biting.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  9. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks guys! All your answers make a lot of sense. After observing this behavior more closely, they do usually do it before trying to peck the new duck. Thanks again :)

10. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Actually the link Miss Lydia posted makes sense too. I guess they could also be happy/excited about the new duck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by