1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks vs Chicken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NicoleRook, Mar 18, 2013.

1. NicoleRook

NicoleRook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    Just doing a survey....Which makes a better family pet...duck or chicken and why? Thanks

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    This has been asked before so if you'd like to read through the past questions, you can do a search. [​IMG] Personally, i think it's a rather difficult thing to answer as there are pro/cons to both and truly falls down to your purpose, the breeds and the effort put forth.

I like both and keep both, i don't favour one over the other.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'd vote ducks but I've never personally had chickens. However, geese make better pets than both IMO.

1 person likes this.
  4. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    What do you mean by family pet? Are you talking about animals that live inside the house like cats and dogs? Or just animals that won't be eaten?

5. NicoleRook

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    An indoor/outdoor pet that is good with kids.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Single ducks can't be indoor/outdoor. They are flock animals. They also aren't like dogs or cats and behave differently than either. They also have their own personalities within each breed and aren't as easy to catagorize as good with kids or good pet as dog breeds are.

1 person likes this.
  7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep, well put.

8. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Yes, I agree with this. In general, I prefer ducks for pets, but a case can be made for either one. I think it's really about personal preference. Serama chickens are very small and very tame; they make great pets for kids. Still, if I had to choose only one, I would keep my ducks and geese.

9. NicoleRook

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    The duck breed I was considering was Ancona or Pekin, the chicken breed a Serema, anyone have thoughts on these breeds?

10. NicoleRook

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ
    thanks for the info, this is our first experiance and it's so important I make the right choice for the whole Family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by