Ducks Vs. Chickens?

Lisa-Lu

Songster
Feb 14, 2019
Southwest Virginia
Now that we are old pro's in the chicken world (a little over a month in, ha!), we are considering expanding our flock sometime down the road. Chickens were our first step into small farming, and we are interested in ducks, goats, maybe even a cow or two. We have a fairly large pond on our property that has cat fish and bass in it. Is putting a duck coop close to it a feasible idea? Do they require the same upkeep as chickens in regard to feed, locking them up at night? Do they free range well? Any and all starter info is appreciated!

I started with ducks...and they are still alive so I did something right :lol:....anyway ducks do need to be put up at night and they don't need food or water so feeding them in the morning with a bucket of water will be great! The pond is a great idea but getting them off the pond to put them in the coop for the night is a not so great. To train them to come off the pond I would start with a shaking a bucket with food in it and calling at first you will have to herd so they get the id
ea but once they learn...they come off like a charm! As for info that you said would be great I am going to put 2 links to book that would help you a lot!!
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/du...L5_TOMcMKG6PAFe7Txh_gd7i9gCbK9jxoCs3QQAvD_BwE

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/st...b9jSG56TjcMfGWiJFdJra-d6sEic3_-hoCHYYQAvD_BwE

I'll second and third what everyone else says - ducks must be locked in at night. There's a reason for the phrase "sitting duck". It amazed me to find out just how BLIND they are at night. I free feed so I let them free range all day but also still have access to feed and inside their coop. They get locked inside at night and still have food and always have water accessible! Very important starter info for ducks when you're used to chickens - ducks are MESSY. They will play in water, spill it all, etc. etc. I just hatched 3 ducklings who are now a week old and I have to fill their water twice a day. My 12 chicks go through the same water container every 4 days. You'll need to find a way that works for you to rig up/elevate the duck water so they don't constantly make a mess out of your coop! They will eat, and then drink, and repeat, so their water will be a food dirty mucky mess and it'll constantly need to be cleaned out.

I’ve had ducks for almost a year now. I let mine free range all day long (in my fenced in back yard-they share space with my dog) I give them a fresh bucket of water in the morning. If it’s warm outside I give them a pool to play in. I always put the up at night because we have coyotes around here. I’m sure the ducks would love the pond, but it may be difficult to get them to come in for the night. I definitely wouldn’t leave them to the pond all night, they would easily get picked off. I bring mine in before sunset and put some food and a fresh bucket of water in their coop. That’s how they know it’s time to go in. Ducks do very well with routine, it’s just about getting them into the routine in the first place. I have owned chickens before and I will say I prefer ducks, and they are a whole lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom