ducks vs. geese-update

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jblee, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jblee

jblee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Got some questions regarding the 2. I posted in the geese forum and am not sure which is better. As in my geese post(https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=477637), I live in a subdivision with 8 chicks(hens) and was wanting something else. I considered geese but just am a little nervous about the noise, mostly at night, even though a neighbor down the street has roosters and turkeys and no one cares. Are ducks that noisey as well and how are Welsh Harlequins and or any other breed for that matter? I only want 2, weither it be geese or ducks. I got a nice area to keep them in and lots of grass for them to be on. Any thoughts shared appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  2. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I had a neighbor once who had 2 Chinese Geese, which are a notoriously loud breed of goose. He was probably on about a quarter of an acre, so very close to the neighbors. The geese were always honking whenever anyone would approach the house, or when anyone would walk down the street, or just whenever they felt like they needed to hear some honking. It didn't bother me, and no one ever reported the geese to the city, but I imagine some of the neighbors might have been irritated by it if they were a little less laid back than me. I don't recall EVER hearing the geese at night, but I won't swear to it.

If you're worried about it, two ducks would probably make MUCH less noise than two geese.

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I agree with ducks being less noisy. Try to find a calm breed, because they are less noisy. I have Saxonies, which are extremely laid back and very quiet. I have to get mine really wound up to get a quack out of them. They just don't like to quack, but they can. The only time they get noisy is when they get let out in the morning and I have a food bowl in the hand. Still no quack, just chatting. Muscovies are even more quiet, but they do fly.

4. jblee

jblee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Oh I forgot one important fact. I have a 6 foot block wall all the way around my backyard up to the sides of the house. there is a vehicle gate on the side where they could look out but I doubt they would like the gravel on the feet over in that area. So they would never really see anything out of the backyard. Any difference??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by