Ducks VS Geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckiesPLZ, Aug 28, 2011.

1. DuckiesPLZ

DuckiesPLZ Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    So I've been wanting to get pet ducks... but I just read about geese, and they seem to be better with humans than ducks, so long as you get them at a super young age and hey imprint... Now after all the research I've done, I know personalities have a lot to do with this, as well as who is raising them...

But, on a general scale, are geese or ducks more friendly?
    Can I really just let the geese eat grass and forage without needing as much feed as the ducks do?
    What are the differences between ducks and geese? Messier? eat more? sturdier?
    I live where we can get up to 2 feet of snow in the winter, which bird is better?

They're both so cute! I want to know how owners feel about their pet geese, please?? Different Breed info and pictures welcomed [​IMG] Any info or input r opinion i can get is awesome, even if its "geese have feathers" xD

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  3. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have 4 geese. I have 2 ducks (drakes). I love my geese so very much and they are so very friendly and loving. Sweet sweet animals. I have Embdens (2 adult females) and 2 Embden crosses that are almost 4 months old, not sure of the genders yet but hoping for a boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by