Ducks vs. Guineas

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Julie_in_PA, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Julie_in_PA

Julie_in_PA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    What wins (in your opinion) in keeping DUCKS vs. Keeping GUINEAS ?

I can get some free ducks to take care of bugs, ticks and worms in my yard ... I know Guineas are good for this to, but can't seem to easily find any keets for sale in my area right now ... so I'm trying hard to make the right decision here, but if I DO go with the free ducklings ... I won't be getting any guineas this year, it has to be one or the other (so hubby says). So Duck vs. Guineas ... let me hear your opinions please !

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    well guineas make an anoying noise and so do ducks and ducks are really messy I don't see a down side to either one ! GET BOTH [​IMG]

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ok so ducks really are messy and don't do as well free raning and Marlinchaser a member here from Northern MD had keets for sale so you can search him and PM or email him and see if he has them and how much and how far! he is a really great guy and half my flock of hens was hatched by another member and he drove them all the way from Vermont to Maryalnd for free !!!! His guineas are really cool also and he has allot of keets not sure about price though.

Good Luck,
    Henry

4. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    HAHA - if it were up to me (total animal lover) ... I would get both ... but I gotta respect hubby's feelings about the matter, and he puts up with me enough with all my other animals, and I casually mentioned trying both to see what we liked ... but he didn't think that was wise. He said get the ducks since i can get them free, then next year add a couple guineas THEN and see what we like (he just doesn't want to rush into getting both at the same time ... right now).
    So it HAS TO BE one or the other ... unfortanately.

Oh, and we have a small frog pond where the duck/s could play in. It's like 4 x 3 or something. Plus we also have a kiddie pool (10 foot in diameter) ... it's actually for out daughter ... but I can just SEE IT NOW ! Her and the ducks both swimming together ... me with a net trying to catch any and all feathers and poos !! HAHAHA !!

But seriously ... yeah ... it has to be one or the other for now ... so I need to know which one I want. I'm leaning towards ducks at the moment .. since I can get some for free and they'll be hatched this comming week. But I really want everyone's opinion ... because I never had ducks, and I never had guineas ... so I'd be new to either or. And I need to KNOW what I want to do before next week. Cause that's when I'll be getting the ducklings (if I go with ducks).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Well if the ducks are free and close to you I guess I would go with them. Do you know what breed they are hatching out? if they are mallards they will leave and if they are domestic breeds they probably can't fly to escape predators that would be my only worry. Guineas are good because they roost hight in trees and are very fast and agile which makes them hard for predators to get at.

Good Luck I hate making decisions like that,
    Henry

6. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Indian Runners (that's the breed).

7. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Oh ... and one other "plus" that we were considering with the ducks .... we will use their eggs for baking, omelets and Scrambled eggs. Do ppl eat Guinea Eggs ??

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    LOL I love them they are the upright ducks that walk like mini humans they can't fly and I am not even sure they like water that much but I would get them anyway. you may have to build a small night shelter for them eventually and you have to brood them like chicks but they lay great eggs and I want some [​IMG]

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I imagine if you can find fresh enough guinea eggs you can eat them but I have heard they are pretty good at hiding them.

Henry

10. Julie_in_PA

May 15, 2008
    Southern PA
    Yeah ... I've been researching them ... and they're hilarious looking !!! LOL ! "Penguin Ducks" .... hehehe.

I was thinking about building some type of a small shelter for them for at night ... I'll only be getting two of them (If I decide to go with the ducks of course) ... so I won't need anything big. I even have an empty dog pen with a XL dog box in it ... I was thinking of putting a closeable door on that and putting them in there at night. NOTHING would get into the dog house to get them ... that's for sure. It was built for my HUGE English Mastiffs. It's like 4 deep x 3 wide x 5 tall (at the peak). Plus it's fenced in. And if the indian runners can't fly ... well then the pen just might even hold them in if I need to keep them in for any reason. Otherwise they'll be free range. I just hope my dogs won't bother them. I don't THINK they will ... they do ok with my cats and goats, etc. But I will have to keep a watchful eye for a while to be sure.

As for brooding them .... I was thinking about making one of those "tote brooders" like I've seen on here before. Since I'll only have 2. I need to search and find instructions on how to make one of them. How long do the ducklings need to be in the brooder ?

I heard that Guineas eggs are TINY to. ... ?
    And I've read that the Indian Runner Duck is a very good egg laying breed. And they lay large eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by