1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Ducks were attacked 2 days ago

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blshanatic, Jul 25, 2014.

1. blshanatic

blshanatic In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Michigan
    Two of my five ducks were attacked 2 days ago. Whatever it was killed my beautiful Drake Moe and tried to kill my Gracie. At first I thought she had open wounds but after cleaning her up, it only plucked all the feathers off her neck and she does have a hematoma where it grabbed her.

I've got her in a kennel in the garage. Cleaned her up and caked her neck with antibiotic ointment to keep the flies off. I've also been sitting with her and hand feeding because her curvature on the back of her neck was very swollen. Last night I was able to hold a cold compress to it. I'm giving her mixed veggies and protein.

What else should I do? How long should I keep her away from the other ducks? Is it OK to put her with them permanately after being housed separately from the beginning and losing her mate?

2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chirping

Apr 16, 2014
    Don't put her in with the others until she is completely healed. You can put her in a pen or dog crate next to the others so they are familiar with her and then after she heals, try slowly introducing her to the others. Plus, since she lost her mate, she's going to be freaked out for a while. Don't rush things.

3. blshanatic

blshanatic In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Michigan
    That's what I thought. I figured I'd keep her in the garage until we have the new big enclosure where I can safely separate her. Whatever it is will come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: