Ducks? What kind?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flyingdragon, Nov 24, 2009.

1. flyingdragon

flyingdragon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Are ducks really as messy as people say? Never had any but I've seen what geese can do. Is it that bad? Is a pond required and why. I love duck eggs (better than chicken). And I'd like to make my own confit. What is a good starter breed for the novice? Seems like muscovys are good for meat and khaki campbells (I love that name) are great layers. I'd only want 3-4 at the most. Have chickens and just got guineas.

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:They are as messy as geese I think. They do not have to have a pond. They need some water to splash in. A small child's pool will work very well. Most ducks are fairly easy to handle. Runners are usually hard to tame but they make good layers. The best layers are Runners and Campbells. Muscovies are pretty good too. I love ducks. I hope that you get some soon.

3. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i dont wanna put you off but ducks are ridiculously messy, they are worth it though

4. buck431397

buck431397 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Pilesgrove, NJ
    depends on how much room they have. mine are free range and they are no more mess than my chickens, they are less mess actually i think. I like my pekings. they are pretty.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

6. flyingdragon

flyingdragon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    After reading the many threads, I am still quite not convinced. I like the part about sifting through pooh for tasty tidbits though. I've got eight cows that are prolific poopers. I have enough pasture space that they can do there thing. I like the slug part too. My yard is big enough that a few droppings wouldn't be an eyesore. But what about eating garden plants? Would the pick off the slugs and leave my lettuce? What breeds prefer animal protein to plant protein? I prefer the utility aspect rather than the companionship aspect. If they have personality, so be it. I have guineas so they would have some competition.

7. rainplace

Do not let them near your lettuce.... ever...

8. rainplace

On a more serious note. If you want a duck that is easier in the garden, you may want to look into the bantam breeds. Still, not the lettuce

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I just got quail. They make the ducks look tidy! LOL

My favorite breed is Welsh Harlequin. All the egg laying of a khaki, but friendlier. Mine are a total riot [​IMG]

10. rainplace

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by