Ducks - which breed to get ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Laurena, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Laurena

Laurena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    So we're looking at getting some ducks in the not so distant future . They'll be mostly for eggs , so being a good layer is an important quality . I'm not too concerned about size or noise , but I am about flying . What would be a good duck for me ? I've been looking at Khaki Campbells , Runners and Pekins .

Also any suggestions on a good place to look for ducks/ducklings in Canada , more specifically British Columbia ?

Thanks everyone .

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You are in duck paradise. Onlly mallards are flighty, so you can choose based on looks alone. Pick a duck you find beautiful as you will be spending a lot of time with them. To me, the top three are Silver Appleyards, Saxony and Welsh Harlequin.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've always wanted a duck - is it true that they don't have to swim? We don't have a pond but would a pen with a kiddie pool work? I'm in the 'burbs - are ducks any noisier than roosters? Can you just have one or do they get lonely? Can you keep them in the same pen with chickens outdoors? What about winter?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm going to Meyer Hatchery tomorrow to pick up my peeps and don't want to fall in love with something I shouldn't be bringing home!

4. Laurena

Laurena Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    LilRalphieRoosmama - I can't really answer any of your questions as I am quiet new to ducks myself , hopefully someone a bit more duck savvy can help you . From what I've read though , I would never keep a single duck , they are social and do better in pair or trio's .

I've had a awful time trying to find ducks in my area , I can only find pekins or muscovy and to be honest I'm not a big muscovy fan (sorry all muscovy lovers) . I do like pekins though , any pekin owners out there ? How do you like them ? How are they for egg production ?

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I think you should just do what I'm doing...get at least one of everything. [​IMG] I have: 1 Ancona drake, 1 Dark Khaki Campbell drake(after this all the rest are girls), 1 crested Chocolate Splash Blue Swedish, 1 Welsh Harlequin, 2 Black Runners, 1 crested Fawn & White Runner, 1 crested Cayuga, 1 crested Khaki Campbell. I have 3 more coming next week, 1 crested Khaki Campbell, 1 crested Fawn & White Runner, 1 crested Black & White Magpie.

Not great for breeding purposes save for the Campbells, but variety is the spice. [​IMG]

6. SullyCarter

SullyCarter Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    runners.
    no flying. good layers. cool looking.
    [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I love my muscovys . And if you clip the wings they dont leave. they are very friendly and are decent layers and make a nice roast too. They are non quacking( i have three in a burb backyard and one one complains.) Nothing beats a khaki campell when it comes down to eggs though.

8. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    As to the loudness thing, my drakes are very quiet. The ducks on the other hand...

I am in the house with the screen door open. I can hear the ducks carrying on at the pond 150 yards away as clear as a bell. Ducks are loud!

I have Dutch Hookbills. Holderread's said they lay well, mine are just 9 weeks so I don't know yet. They are very sweet and calm.

9. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have Khakis for eggs. I also have a fawn and white runner because he looks cool! I really would suggest a runner duck because they lay quite a few eggs and come in a real array of colors and have a very unique stature. Otherwise I'm told Magpies lay about 260 eggs a year and come in various patterns of black and white.

10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    If you don't care about a skittish personality then I highly recommend production Campbells. They've been known to out-lay Leghorns and are extremely economical. Runners are my second choice. They're really nifty to look at as they bob around.

If you don't mind slightly sacrificing laying qualities for rarity, then check out the Welsh Harlequin. I enjoyed mine and the egg production is easily on par with a lot of your dual-purpose chicken breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by