Ducks, winter, water and other things

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Onlyducks, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    I am putting this on a new thread because I cannot find the one where I asked about duck water in the winter. I wanted to say thank you to whomever it was that recommended using the black rubber water pans. I have two of them and they work great. The 2 gallon one holds their drinking water and the 3 gallon one I put in the garden for them to bathe in if they want or drink out of. I also have a heater dish for severe cold, which I use inside my greenhouse when the temperatures drop below zero. I made a screen to cover most of it so they can't swim in it. The black ones are so handy—when they do ice over, you just twist and the ice pops out. The dishes are also cold-proof, unlike the plastic ones. Having not kept ducks over the winter, this has been an experiment with the Muscovies. So far, it's gone well.

My ducks seem fascinated with the ice if I throw it out in the garden and it breaks into pieces. Ducks are easily entertained!!

I have noticed the ducks peck openings in the ice when their water starts to freeze overnight. Is that common?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    mine peck openings too (when it gets unplugged and freezes) until it gets too thick.....they most likely like having something to play with :)

3. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Good point! Considering their fascination with ice I throw out and break, it makes sense they could be pecking at the ice for entertainment, so to speak.

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yup! i love ducks....they are the best. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by