Ducks + winter = ?

BirdBrain

Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Alaska
I could fit what I know about ducks on the head of a pin, so keep that in mind...

How do you keep ducks clean in the winter? Breaking the ice on a kiddie pool doesn't sound like fun, much less refilling it when it is 15 degrees outside!

Can you keep a couple of ducks in with chickens?

You are in Alaska. MUCH different situation than I have. Even in the dead of winter we seldom get hard freezes.

My ducks had a storage container I would fill when it wasn't too bad out. Most days actually...
1002417.jpg

Circulating the water keeps it from freezing.If you have an extra pump, that might work.

I keep mine with the chickens, I have a large horse waterer - actually for the horse, but I keep a de-icer in that during winter and have seen the ducks hop in!
roll.png

I'm sure the horse loves that..."hmmm, the water tastes a little chunky today!"

In Vermont, it gets hella cold, often. I have a kiddie pool that I fill up in the afternoon, maybe once every week, and then dump by dinner time. For every day swimming, I have a big rubber bowl, from TSC, that isn't really big enough for more than one duck at a time, but it is dumpable when frozen... in the spring though, I have a hundred round poopy ice blocks... gross.

I have an 8 foot round small pond in my back with the ducks.If I put chlorine in it,because they poop ALOT in it, will they taste it and stop drinking it?I have to drain it all the time because even the filters cant keep up with the poop.I just dont want them getting sick from chlorine "or" poop infested water.Please help.

Quote:
MMMMMMMMM!! Don't those look yummy!!
sickbyc.gif

Kevin maybe the others would be able to help you. You see, I am not a real duck owner, I just pretend to be one on TV
lau.gif
. See the original post for my Duckology credentials.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom