Ducks with Chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkie1472, Feb 3, 2017.

1. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    So spring is just around the corner and I am afraid my ducks are starting to lay. In order for them to hatch their own, they must be moved into a large enclosure, but the only place I have for them is my chicken coop. I moved them in the run, but they seemed stresses so I put them the coop where the chickens stay at night. I was wondering if this is okay. The ducks and chickens will both be able to use the nest boxes as I have moved them ground level.

Another thing is that I have 14 ducks. 10 rouens and 4 mallards. All that I have moved in the coop was all 6 Rouen hens and one drake. They try desperately to get to the pond from inside the chicken coop as they see the other drakes on the pond. Will they eventually get over not being able to get back with the other ducks in the pond until later in the year or was this a bad idea? My mallards will be separated soon, but I wanted to collect some duck eggs to eat first.

Last but not least, will the stress caused by moving the ducks cause them to stop laying if they were? If so, will they get over not being able to get back in the pond and begin laying again? I have a kiddie pool in the run for them to bathe in, but I am scared that they will try to kill themselves on the wire while they try to get back into the pond with the others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. animalwild

animalwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    Myducks have been fine all winter without a pond, but this is different. I wouldn't know about them trying to get to pond. I will warn you though I have had ducks attack chickens when being kept in the same enclosure. That might be stressing them out

3. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    The run is pretty large, so I think that they should be fine. They've lived close to each other all of their lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by