Ducks with Chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emalin, Mar 18, 2015.

1. emalin

emalin Out Of The Brooder

We are just getting our first flock of chickens together, and a friend has offered us Cayuga ducklings. My daughter is crazy about the idea, and I'm considering it. Can ducks free range with chickens? What is the smallest number of ducks to keep? Would they be happy in a walled off extension of our chicken run? We have acreage, but I only feel comfortable letting birds free range in our 1/2-acre fenced backyard, and they need to live fairly close to the house where we can hear them. The predator situation is pretty intense. Everyone would have to get along in close quarters. I would appreciate any opinions or advice. I don't know much about ducks. Thanks!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    they would totally do fine ranging with the chickens, but if possible i would section of a separate portion of your coop/run for their sleeping quarters. ducks are a lot messier than chickens, and having them in the same sleeping area could mean sick chickens due to dirty bedding.
    a few tips, make sure you can provide water. I use kitty pools, but ducks will be duck and they love to swim.if your winters get below freezing, you will need to buy some kind of heated water, because unlike chickens, they need more access to it. I would with hold food and water at night because they will get their bedding super messy otherwise. their housing needs are simple, no roosts or nest boxes. just protect the from predators and drafts. always keep at least 2 ducks, though having 3 or more would be smart so if one dies the other won't be as depressed and alone. Cayuga's are an awesome breed. friendly (if held a lot as babies) and quite pretty. they also lay quite a few eggs, and are a bit quieter than some of the other domestic duck breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by