Ducks won't come in! HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by anniele27, Nov 3, 2014.

1. anniele27

anniele27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    Illinois
    their pen is right by the water and since June every night they would go right In at dusk to eat dinner and be put up for the night and every morning at dawn we'd let them out. For some reason this past week they have refused to leave to lake to go in their pen. We've tried coaxing them with all their favorite treats and no luck!! Nothing has changed besides the fact that one duck is injured and has a slight limp. After treating the problem we left her down with the rest of the ducks so she could get off her feet and swim all day. For three days after they all went in no problem like usual but then Sunday they refused and nothing we have tried has worked!!! Any suggestions?

2. anniele27

Apr 10, 2014
    Illinois
    They have been fine this past week but I'm worried that when the lake freezes they will be subseptable to predators because they are pekins, rueons, and runners so they can't fly well

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There may be something going on you don't see. There may be signs of predators around the night pen. Take a thorough look around.

This is one of those times that knowing they have a favorite treat can work in your favor. If they do not have a treat, then you may need to get help - someone with waders, or kayaks, get behind them and herd them in.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Plus your going to have your work cut out for you if the hut isn't enclosed inside a pen of fenced in area, it would be much easier if that was the case. I agree with Amiga they may have seen a pred hanging around the hut.

5. anniele27

Apr 10, 2014
    Illinois
    I could had sworn that i replied to this but after two days without food (don't come in don't get food!) they resumed their usual routine and i haven't had a problem with them since! Weird but I'm not complaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by