ducks wont eat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by puma_eclipse, Apr 27, 2011.

1. puma_eclipse

puma_eclipse New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    Ok so I bought a pair if ducks a hen and Drake 4 days ago and they have not ate that I know of, they are full grown, and the guy I got them from was feeding egg laying feed so I got the same, I don't know what they use to live in, but now they have a fence about 40x10 with shelter and a pool, I saw them last night pecking around in leaves(no grass in pen) but they haven't ate the food I gave them yet, its in a pot. Also they don't start to move until late afternoon anyone help please.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Try giving them peas,mine like to eat the dogs dry dog food its the small kibble kind.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Try another food. Whole grains or a wet mash.
    Also, scatter some food out on the ground and see if they work at it. Dig worms and grubs and toss in their food pot. Mine will eat a little bread but not much. I can put peas in their mash and they will eat it a bit better.

Go to the pet store and buy feeder fish and put those in a clean pool for them to get excited about.

Some folks feed dry cat food but mine won't touch it.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If they are used to a larger flock, the changes could be shaking them up.

How cold is it where you are? Are they staying hunkered down because it's cold? If they had a large flock, they may have been warmer.

I think healthy treats can help - do they appear healthy? Any sign of illness? (limping, runny nares, eye problems)

I'd give them some poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics.

What kind of ducks are they?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Is that egg laying feed for chickens or mixed flock? Eventually you may want to get duck pellets because ducks need more niacin than chickens.

That, however, should not keep them from eating it. Ducks normally love greens for treats -- lettuce, grass, kale.

If they don't respond to that maybe you can try contacting the guy who sold them to you to find out if they had any favorite treats.

It's odd... it almost sounds like they are depressed.

6. puma_eclipse

puma_eclipse New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    The feed is for chickens they didn't have it for ducks, it about 75 deg. And I have tried corn and other things

7. puma_eclipse

puma_eclipse New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    They look healthy, they are rouen/ Saxony , I've scatter corn on ground but don't seem to touch it. I thought they would eat like chickens, but they. Just sit there until close to dark and move around

8. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Are they at least drinking water? I wonder if they are used to eating crumble or pellets. In the long run, I think you can continue to give them chicken feed if you supplement their diet with a source of niacin like brewers yeast.

I guess rouens are a pretty heavy breed. I don't really know if they run around a lot or not. It would be nice to find some food that they find interesting. I still suggest greens.

9. puma_eclipse

puma_eclipse New Egg

Apr 27, 2011
    Yes they drink water, or did, and whenever I go to feed them. They run from me, I just tried lettuce and dog food but they just wanted me gone, and I was told the hen was laying eggs but I haven't seen one yet

10. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    At least she can run. My runner ducks are usually running away from me, and we hand raised them, but they would run to the water when I threw pieces of lettuce or spinach in it. My guess is they miss their flock and they are going to take a while to adjust.

Keep trying. Let them get used to you being nearby. Throw grass or dandelions or just about anything anyone suggests to see if they will eat it. it sounds frustrating. Hens will often stop laying for a while when they go through a transition.

Here is a list of treats from this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by