Ducks won't enter water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GretasFlock, Feb 20, 2015.

1. GretasFlock

GretasFlock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    So I have two ducks, and I recently got them a 100 gallon rubber trough for them to swim in. I found them in it once the day after I set it up. They had the time of their lives and eventually jumped out, preened and everything. All was going well. But they haven't been in since, and they seem frightened of the makeshift steps I set up for them and won't use it. I have another water bowl for them because I don't want them to get dehydrated, but they seemed to really love it when they were in it before and I'd like them to be able to use it again. Any advice on how to make a ramp to a duck pool that they will use? Silly ducks.

One thing to note is that they do hate climbing and they always sleep on the ground, only braving the ramp to sleep in the coop when it's really cold out.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks generally don't do well with ramps, as you have seen. I have read that 30% is the maximum ramp steepness for ducks - steeper can cause leg injury, I believe (there are always exceptions, but this has been stated as a general consideration).

So, wider, less steep, perhaps with plastic poultry fence tightly fastened across it for traction - see if that works.

Also, could it be that a hawk or something swooped down over them while they were near the pool? Is there netting over it to protect them? Is it in a safe place where predators cannot get to them? They may see something you do not.

3. GretasFlock

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks! I have three pallets at my disposal, is there anything I could do with those or do I need to use something else?

It is possible it was a hawk, although they are usually loose in my fenced yard and we have never had problems with predators.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just keep an eye out - predators watch us and know when we are not around.

The pallets may work - remember that ducks can break their legs if their feet get stuck in a gap between boards. Perhaps hardware cloth over the pallet, then plastic poultry fence over that - don't want them walking on hardware cloth, but it would keep them from putting their foot through a gap.

1 person likes this.
  5. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    My Golden decided to join the ducks in the kiddie pool I have for them (until I build a pond, but I digress). Anyway, for about a month the ducks avoided the pool. No worries, like throwing a switch, the following month the flock jumped back in the pool as if nothing was wrong. Give them some time, they will be back.
    [​IMG]
    At least for a month I didn't have to change the water every other day!
    Enjoy,
    Rich

6. Honey Maid

Honey Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    State of Jefferson
    That brings up a question from me. I hadn't even thought of it before, the porch of my coop is about 6 or 7 inches off the ground, will the ducks I'm getting be able to hop up onto that, or should I put a ramp there?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  7. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I used flag stones to make stairs for mine and it's about 5 inches off the ground.

8. GretasFlock

Mar 21, 2013
    Well, they figured it out themselves. Before I got the chance to make them an improved ramp, they figured out how to use a straw bale that was on its side next to the trough to get in. Problem solved, thanks for all your suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by