1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Ducks won't get along!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck-horselover, Jan 26, 2017.

1. duck-horselover

duck-horselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    I have two muscovy ducks (drake and hen) and two other ducks (indian runner hen and welsh harlequin hen). When I try to introduce the muscovies to the others they all seem to fight. The muscovy duck fights the indian runner duck even though the other duck doesn't fight back and the muscovy drake (who is twice the size of the welsh harlequin) gets attacked by the welsh harlequin and they fight for a while. I think the muscovy drake and welsh harlequin hen are fighting to be the alpha and the muscovy hen is just aggressive even though she is the youngest and smallest?????

To resolve the problem I have separated the pairs and put them with the ducks they don't fight with. I have put the drake with the indian runner and welsh harlequin with the muscovy hen. All seems to be going well but they have only been together for 8 mins... At the start the muscovy hen was freaking out but now is seems to have calmed down. Any idea??? Because we don't have enough fenced areas to keep them in ( if they were separate) and selling them is not an option.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Did you keep the two pairs close, within sight, but unable to access each other before full introductions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by