1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks won't get in the pond???????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ardizzone7, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have 18 chickens and 2 ducks that we got in early March at 2 weeks old. My ducks are a buff and a pekin. When they were little, we put them in the bath tub to get them to clean themselves and get used to the water. I didn't think about it at the time, but never made the water deep enough to where they couldn't touch. Now they are mature and outside. They REFUSE to get into our pond to swim or clean themselves. We have tried everything, even throwing them in. They still get out as fast as they can. Should I have taught them to swim as babies? In the wild a mother duck teaches her babies. How do we get them to get in the pond? At this point, they sit in the water feeder and clean themselves. [​IMG] Any help woudl be appreciated.

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    If your pond is natural, you may have to get the water tested. They won't go into water if there's something wrong with it.

3. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    good to know. I will get that done.

4. TrystInn

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Also, you may have a predator or two (turtles, for instance), already in residence.

5. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    ok I know we have 2 turtles and some big mouth bass. I think we have a musk rat too. Is there a good alternative for them to clean themselves other than the waterer? My husband is hesitant to get a baby pool, but we will if we need to. It is so hot here and I want to be sure they are staying healthy.

6. TrystInn

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    You can use deep cat litter bins or the larger black rubber feeder bowls available at the local Cenex. Frankly, you need to get those turtles out of that pond if you want the ducks to use it.

7. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My ducks took a full week to go in to their in ground pond. How long has it been?
    Any duck predators or anything that will go for them in there and the ducks will never go in. They have tiny 3ft kiddie pools you can use, you'll need to change it every 2-3 days though. They poo in the water and dump mud as well, real nasty mess. You'll know when it's over due for a cleaning they won't go in anymore. They may reluctantly drink from it still, but won't be happy about it.

8. Ardizzone7

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    They have been outside for at least 2 months now. They will stand by the edge of the pond but won't go in. Today it rained and they were fighting over a puddle lol! Silly ducks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by