Ducks won't go in coop and must be chased and caught every night!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yuppie chicks, Jul 6, 2011.

1. yuppie chicks

yuppie chicks New Egg

Jul 5, 2011
    I have one cayuga and two swedish ducks that have been raised together since we got them in April. When they were large enough, we added them to our existing chicken flock of 3 birds. Every night my little bantam hen waits just inside the doorway to the left of the ramp. I can't figure out if it's her they don't want to upset or if it is the ramp that's too uncomfortable for them. It's about 18 inches long by 7 inches wide. Do you think they just can't waddle up it, or do you think they just don't want to be bossed around? Once my hubby catches them and stuffs them in the doorway, they're fine being inside the coop and in the morning they come out just fine too. I am playing with the idea of getting them a little dog house next to the coop so we don't have to chase them every night. Other than that, does anyone have any advice on training them to go in the coop by themselves? Thanks!

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I have stairs...and it took a while before they learned to go in on their own at night.It doesn't sound like your ramp is too difficult.i find that ducks tend to want to stay out all night but they will go in on their own if trained.We built the hut so that we could herd them into a corner and the only place to go was in the door [​IMG]...now I only have to herd them when I need to put them in early for some reason.Is the hut in a corner?

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Sounds like those ducks need a bribe...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by