Ducks won't go in new tub

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by janieps, Jun 26, 2016.

1. janieps

janieps Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Southern New Hampshire
    The girls (about 9 wks old) had a 10 gal cement mixing tub to dunk in and loved it. We replaced it with a larger version of same and they won't go in it, not even with floating greens. It's an inch higher than the previous tub so thinking that might be the issue, I made brick stairs inside and out. Still no action! Any ideas?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

put them in and they'll get he idea. my ducks wouldn't go into their new kiddie pool for a while because it was too tall despite the stairs i made for them

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have more of a sneaky approach - make a trail of treats up and into the new swimmy pool.

4. Poultry parent

now mine come running when i refill the pool and splash like it's the best thing in the world!

5. janieps

janieps Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks. I tried that a couple of times and no luck yet!

6. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    I had the same problem at one time, so we put the pool in front of their run
    The only way in or out was to run through or across the pool. Eventually they figured out it wasn't evil and they all started playing

7. Poultry parent

try just putting them in and it might take a while but they will get the idea

8. janieps

janieps Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone! I don't know when, why, or how but when I went to feed the ladies this morning, one was sitting in the tub looking at me like butter wouldn't melt in her beak! Now I know where the expression "odd little duck" comes from!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by