1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks Won't Go In Tonight? AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mrbstephens, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I went out to lock up the ducks for the night. It's pitch black and has been for almost two hours. Noticed their door had blown shut and the ducks were still out. I opened the door for them, but one hour later and they still haven't gone in. What should I do???

2. SJUDD

SJUDD Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you normally herd them in? You can try that. I just get behind mine, open my arms out to the sides to make me look bigger and walk the direction I want them to go. It took about 3 days in a row of doing that before they started heading that way automatically when I walked behind them and put my arms out. Every now and then they try to head in a different direction, but I head them off. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. mrbstephens

Nevermind. I caught them one by one with a net and tossed them in. Normally they go in on their own. I think they were spooked by the closed the door.

4. mrbstephens

Oh no! They're doing it again! Oh man, I really don't want to have to do this again tonight! [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They probably remember the door problem.

You may need to nab them again tonight. Tomorrow give them treats inside the shelter a few times before the end of the day. They need to know it is a good happy place again.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know its a pain but they need to be locked up, now tomorrow start earlier and try giving some kind of treat once you get them inside even coax them to go in with a little bread, your training them to go in on their own so it will take some patience on your part.

7. beardiemom

beardiemom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Western MA
    Get yourself out there early enough to do it,or get a head lantern so you can light your path. Like feeding and watering, it is a chore that needs to be done. Put your arms out wide and go slowly. Our ducks now go in the house as soon as they see us come outside in the evening. But it took a little training.

8. mrbstephens

Phew! They went in. :) I think it was the door problem that scared/confused them. They sure are silly!

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    They can be, sometimes. I would still have a few pea parties or treat parties in their shelter during the day tomorrow.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by