Ducks won't Lay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moxiechick101, Dec 12, 2017.

Does anyones ducks lay through the winter?

Poll closed Jan 12, 2018.
  1. yes

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. sometimes

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. moxiechick101

moxiechick101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    We got our first ducks in june of 2016, 4 welsh harlequins, 3 girls and 1 boy, when they were just ducklings for the purpose of laying eggs. Everywhere we read said they were excellent layers, sometimes even through the winter. However, our girls didn't start laying until the April of this year. They laid well, but stopped after we let them go broody in June and never picked back up again. Around the same time (Jul.)we hatched some of their eggs in an incubator at kept 2 girls. Id heard that after letting them them go broody they wouldn't lay again until after their next hard molt, but now it's December and they still aren't laying. At first I thought it was because of the stress they might be under from integrating two new ducks into the flock, but I don't know why they haven't been consistent layers. I live in GA, and even though it's the winter we are still getting 10 hours of daylight. Has anyone else experienced the same problem of ducks being inconsistent layers? I thought ducks might lay better through the winter than chickens but I guess it just depends. Does anyone have any suggestions about getting them laying again? Does anyones ducks actually lay through the winter?
    Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

My Runners and Buffs laid all through winter last year they were 1 yr old this past April 28th Now I may get an egg or 2 a week form them. Lack of daylight here has contributed to it.
    Are you feeding layer? You may have to wait till late winter early spring before they lay again. I am not familiar with WH though as far as laying etc. I believe there is a WH thread here though.

Bridger Davis likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Ducks, like chickens, take the winter months off due to the shortened daylight exposure.

4. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado

Well put. X2

5. moxiechick101

Jun 6, 2016
    Thank you for the quick responses. I am feeding layer feed. I guess Ill have to wait till' spring for more eggs.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Take them off layer till they start laying again. All that calcium isn't good for them if they aren't using it.

7. moxiechick101

Jun 6, 2016
    will do. Thanks!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I use layer year round since I still have a few that lay in winter, But I mix it 50/50 that way they can still get some calcium .

sourland likes this.
  9. EverythingZen

EverythingZen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2017
    AU
    Mine laid during winter, but it's not nearly as cold in Aus as it is for some of you. She only started nesting in spring though, but her young age might have had something to do with that too

10. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    This is my first year with runner ducks so not much experience. I am also in GA. One of my ducks started laying about a month ago and I've been getting an egg almost every day. Not sure if this will continue through the winter or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by