Ducks won't mate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FranktheDuck, Mar 19, 2017.

1. FranktheDuck

FranktheDuck New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    Hi there! I'm new to this, so bear with me. 3 years ago, we got a week old pekin duck (Frank) and when he was about 4 months old, we rescued a khaki Campbell companion for him of around the same age (Charlie). We were told he was a female but he turned out to be male. Frank and Charlie bonded and everything worked out well (although they would take turns "mating" with each other on occasion). About 3 weeks ago, however, Charlie passed away unexpectedly. Frank was absolutely destroyed. He wouldn't make any noise or eat or drink, so we rescued a year old female blue swede (Sweet Dee) for him. They bonded immediately and Frank has become aggressive in protection of her (he chases the dogs and tries to attack them when they get close to her). All seems to be going well but there has been no mating. So my question is....when will they mate? And outside of that, when will she start laying eggs (if ever).

I should add, she is most definitely a female. Charlie didn't have his drake feather when we got him, which is why we were uncertain.

Any insight is very appreciated!

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    well they could very well be mating when you arent watching.... or maybe she wont let him mate with her yet.
    some ducks i have read prefer to mate in water.. thats more natural for them. do they have a pool?
    are you wanting to incubate eggs? sometimes when adult hens are moved it can take a month or more for them to settle in and start laying again

1 person likes this.
  3. Poultrylord

Poultrylord Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    Hollis Center, Maine
    Maybe get another female to even out males and females!

4. FranktheDuck

FranktheDuck New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Dallas, Texas

I'm with them a lot (and can see them through the windows all the time) so I don't think they're mating - I don't think he's even tried. They do have a pool and they swim in it together, so maybe when she settles in, they'll make some babies. I mostly want eggs to eat, but I have a friend with a pond who'd like a few of Frank's babies, so we'll hatch them at least once.

5. FranktheDuck

FranktheDuck New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Dallas, Texas

I wish I had room, but I don't think I could handle any more than I already have unless he was hurting her or over mating her. Then I'd have to. But I'd rather have no eggs and 2 ducks than more ducks and eggs! Haha

They're filthy little creatures! :)

6. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Well i had a rooster who i never seen mate... i work from home and spend a crazy amount of time outside with them. And one went broody i gave her 10 eggs and 8 hatched. So they were mating at some time.
    Even if your not seeing it happen since it happens really fast, i would check eggs once she starts and see if they are fertile

7. FranktheDuck

FranktheDuck New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Dallas, Texas

How will I know if they're fertile?

8. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I am not asking to be insulting, but do you know the process for breeding poultry? They do not just "make babies". I just had to ask due to the way you mention it. Even if they are mating, if the female is not broody, then you will not have any ducklings (fertile eggs or not), unless you incubate them yourself. I just want to make sure that you are aware of that. From what I have experienced, female or male, they always mate at some point during day (or at least try to) in the case of them not choosing opposite sex partner (seen that with females too looking like they are imitating what the males do).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...se-can-i-tell-if-my-ducks-eggs-are-fertilized

Try this board for answers on how to tell if egg is fertilized.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. Ducks4us

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Google fertile egg vs non fertile. You will see pictures of what a fertile egg will look like.
    You have to crack it open to see

10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Pretty sure he knows and "make some babies" was just an easier way of saying "laying fertile eggs that i will then put in the incubator or hope she goes broody"... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by