Ducks won't molt

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VT DuckMama, Jan 6, 2017.

1. VT DuckMama

VT DuckMama Just Hatched

Jan 6, 2017
    This is our second winter with our 7 Khaki campbells. Last winter they did fantaticly. They loved the snow and the cold didn't bother them. This winter only 2 of the 7 have molted. The 5 other poor ducks have feathers that are bare and faded. They just sit around shivering. Any idea why the 5 haven't replaced their summer feathers? Would it be dangerous if they did molt at this point? Single digit days below 0 at night. Thanks in advance.

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC @VT DuckMama !!! Thank you sooo much for joining us!

Ducks molting habits can be VERY strange and unpredictable. Can they get inside a shelter whenever they want? No, it wouldn't hurt them at all to molt in those temperatures, in fact one of my Khaki Campbell hens is molting right now and shes doing just fine. Your welcome, glad to help![​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, hope the duck forum members can give you some insight into what's happening.

6. VT DuckMama

VT DuckMama Just Hatched

Jan 6, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome [​IMG] We love our fine feathered friends, glad to be around like minded people. Will check out the duck forum for sure! Yes they have a coop they are free to come and go at will. If the coop door is open though they only want to be outside. Can't say I blame them!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, VTDuckMama, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Best of luck to you and your ducks! :)

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under VT DuckMama [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, my knowledge of ducks only extends as far as they are cute! [​IMG]

As you have already received some good advice, I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! I'm pretty limited in duck knowledge, but it seems you've been given some good advice so far. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by