Ducks won't swim???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kariboo, Apr 30, 2009.

1. kariboo

kariboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mathews, Alabama
    I've got four 6-week-old ducks: two pekins and two rouens. I've also got a 5-acre pond. They aren't that interested in swimming. Are they just too young?

The two times they've been in we've basically had to push them in the water a couple of times until they stop and get the idea that it's wet and they can blow bubbles in it.

Then they swim around, no more than 4 feet from the shore and come out the moment we walk away.

Will they get the idea eventually?

2. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    are you sure they are ducks? I would take them to a vet! [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL

Seriously though, some ducks don't like water. My buff never goes in the pond.

4. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My 5 adults wont get out of the water its like 2 seconds grab a bite of food and right back in the pool...Mine love it but I know alot of peole whos ducks dont want anything to do with water other than to drink!

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Are you sure the pond is safe for them? Sometimes they spot a potential problem (like snapping turtles) and are smart enough to be very careful on the water.

6. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    mine love their kiddy pool hate the pond! The soft shell turtles get to close for comfort so they won't go in.

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I have seen them spooked by muskrats and beavers in natural ponds too.

8. CurlyLindsay

CurlyLindsay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    MO
    I had a friend who hatched ducklings that were so imprinted to her that she had to row out in a boat on the pond to get her ducks for swim out. LOL Once out there, they went back out on their own.

9. kariboo

kariboo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mathews, Alabama
    Well, thank you, everybody!

They seem to enjoy themselves when they're in the water, but they're very skittish. So who knows... This is our first experiment with ducks, so I guess we'll just see how it goes!

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:what breed were those, mine did not imprint on me at all ungrateful buggers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by