1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks won't use new pond! Any advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spideratari, Aug 5, 2014.

1. spideratari

spideratari New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Sparta, Tennessee
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and I am hoping someone here might have some insight and advice for me.

I have a pair of Swedish Blue ducks (Peter and Penelope) and they are about 6 months old. They had been using a baby swimming pool until my brother decided they needed a proper pond. So we build one! We've never built a pond before, and it was a lot of hard work, but it looks great and has a stone walkway down into the water for my ducks to get in and out of it. It's right outside their coop, in the exact spot where the baby pool was. It's shaded in the morning and again in the evening. I have taken away the baby pool and the ducks will nap near the pond in the shade, but they won't go in. They won't even investigate around it.

My brother is upset because we spent a good deal of money and time on this project and it seems they aren't interested. There are no other swimming options for them on the farm right now, so I keep telling him that they just need time to get used to it and then they will go in. Am I right? Or is there something I can do to encourage them to get in and have some fun? These are my first ducks, so I'm still learning about them.

I'm including a few photos of my ducks and the pond in progress. I still have some finishing up to do- planting around the edges and adding more stones. The photo I'm including was taken while we were actively working on the pond. It's more serene now.

Thank you for any advice!

[​IMG]Penelope on the left with Peter.

[​IMG] Work in progress! I've removed the hose, truck and non-essentials. I just have to do some more planting and cover up the pond liner. The water is being filtered- there was a lot of dirt on the stones that didn't come off with a rinse. So that's why the water looks murky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    Floating treats worked for me.

3. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    I put food in there for my ducks and they love it.

4. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I used BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) they float and don't get soggy or dissolve in the water and make it gross.

5. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    I use wheat berries and they loved it!! It makes a ton of noise cause the grain hits the water.

6. khawdashhtchngs

khawdashhtchngs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    sometimes the drop down scares them sometimes so if they have another choice of water they will go there. I put mealworms in my ponds if they arent too eager to get in. I had some that really didnt want to get in their stock tank so I put them all in there at once (3 of them) and then they decided they loved it. It can just take time but once they learn how awesome it is they wont be able to get enough!

7. spideratari

spideratari New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Sparta, Tennessee
    Thank you everyone for your great advice! Treats haven't worked so far, and I suspect they are wary of the steps down. I will create a gentler slope for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by