1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Transform987, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Transform987

Transform987 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    I was wondering could I get some ducks with my chickens water is not an issue as we have a pond in which my chickens avoid it has a few fish but they'll be fine I am sure the only issue is the coop you see it is like half a metre of the ground and the chickens use a ramp to get in the best boxes are also a problem they are the size of a hen so should I get a coop just for my ducks

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Ducks and chickens will do find around eachother, but I wouldn't put them in the same pen. Ducks are very messy and they will dirty up the chicken's water immediately.

3. BelValleyDaisy

BelValleyDaisy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2015
    UK
    HI,
    i have both ducks and chickens and at first they both slept separately but now since we have adopted 2 larger hens they now share. The ducks do dirty up the drinking water but if you place out a chair with a bowl of water on, it stays clean. The ducks will mess up the bedroom and it will need to be cleaned out properly every 2 to 3 days (change of cardboard, sawdust). If there is a ramp ducks can climb it depending on how steep it is. My ducks climb a ramp to get up to their bedroom, but i'd put sides onto it so they don't fall off.
    Hope i helped. it probably is best to get another coop though just because it can depress the chickens

4. Transform987

Dec 20, 2015
    I heard they can be fed corn is this true we feed a our hens corn and feeding pellets designed for chickens ducks and geese

5. TheDan

TheDan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Texas!
    ducks eat dang near anything, but they need more protein than just corn can provide. If you plan on letting them free range around the pond they will probably find enough bugs to satisfy them. Don't feed the chicken food to them when they are ducklings, tho. Get Purina Flock Raiser as that has all the vitamins ducklings need.

1 person likes this.
  6. BelValleyDaisy

Oct 10, 2015
    UK
    Yes I feed my ducks and hens corn. They also love mealworms, sweet corn and peas

7. Transform987

Dec 20, 2015
    Do you clip the ducks wings I will but us it ok

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England

Depends on the breed - mallard-derived ducks, most don't fly much once they reach full adult size. Some do. There is a thread on wing-clipping.

9. BelValleyDaisy

Oct 10, 2015
    UK
    Yes I clip my ducks wings, just incase they try take off. My runner tries quite a lot. Just make sure u clip their wings correctly as it's not like chickens

10. Transform987

Dec 20, 2015
    How different where do you clip

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by