Ducks

DuckMadness

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2017
So I'm sad to say I became a duck owner today but lost both of my ducklings....in an attempt to keep them warm I had been using a space heater as my heat lamp broke. I had it far enough away I had thought but it heated the bottom of their cage to the point that it killed my baby ducks.. I have them inside because I believe they are a week old tops should I simply keep them in a cardboard box? I definitely need to buy another heat lamp as well...any suggestions for keeping the little ones from running off would be great....

:welcome

Are you sure it was a case of overheating and not being too cold? Being too cold sounds more likely. The tub would have had to have been at least 100 degrees everywhere inside it to have overheated them. Yes, you really do need a source of heat for them that's not a space heater. A heat lamp, heat plate, or heating pad would be best. You really need to be monitoring the temperature so they don't get too cold or too hot.

What are you feeding them? What kind of bedding are you using? Perhaps you should read some articles like this one about proper duckling care before you get more.

I'm also not sure how they would be running off while you're brooding them? Do you mean after they grow up? Because at that point you should have a coop and run and built for them and you will just keep them in there.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC, but sorry that it is not under happier circumstances that you join us. You have some great advice from Pyxis, so I will just say hello.

CT

The only thing I had on hand at this time was a small cage I had for a hamster a long time ago I truly regret my decision on that matter for not doing through porker research before hand..I had felt the bottom of the cage (thin metal) and it was HOT. I hadn't even thought of it. I'm going to get 2 more tomorrow. However I'm going to put them in a plastic container and I'm buying a heat lamp. I was told by the employee at my local RK to start them on chick starter as that's what they use. And I plan on building a pin for them when I get my taxes back. Also plan on building them a mini green house for when it's cold outside. I would greatly appreciate any advice you all could give me as I've failed more then I wish too. I'm really down in the dumps because of this. I feel terrible about it...

It does sound like you shouldn't have bought them when you did without the proper supplies to care for them, but it sounds like you are making changes and remedying that for the next ones, which is good. The feed you have is good, you may need to add niacin to it because chicks starter often doesn't contain enough niacin for ducklings. You can pick up Brewer's yeast to add to the food or get some poultry Nutri Drench for their water.

Make sure you get the heat lamp set up correctly and check the temperature underneath it for them, and check out that article I linked for more duckling care instructions.

Pyxis has given you great advice, so I will just say "Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.

Greetings from Kansas, DuckMadness, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our flock but sorry about your loss.
sad.png
Hope you give poultry raising another go. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
D.gif

It does sound like you shouldn't have bought them when you did without the proper supplies to care for them, but it sounds like you are making changes and remedying that for the next ones, which is good. The feed you have is good, you may need to add niacin to it because chicks starter often doesn't contain enough niacin for ducklings. You can pick up Brewer's yeast to add to the food or get some poultry Nutri Drench for their water.

Make sure you get the heat lamp set up correctly and check the temperature underneath it for them, and check out that article I linked for more duckling care instructions.

I did my mom had a clear plastic tote I rigged it up with pine shavings and I bought a heat lamp this morning with a thermometer I also had gotten two more this morning for my girlfriend who had originally wanted them these guys are eating and drinking like crazy and I've been checking the lamp I've kept it on since they got in due to the fact my room is a tad bit cold but they seem to be doing great. They keep trying to eat the shavings and paper towel I put under their water. Is this normal and should it be stopped immediately?

Back
Top Bottom