Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckieMom1, Apr 30, 2017.

1. DuckieMom1

DuckieMom1 New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    I have a male duck which I hatched andhad only been with me for a year, he bites me uncontrollably so I brought hime a female but hes has not mated with her and still bites, he actually sounds luke he growls at me. Any reason why?

2. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    He's probably imprinted you as his mate. Ducks aren't always very nice to their SO and you're not playing what he thinks is your role and being a duck and all. If he keeps up and won't be persuaded to pursue the female I'd cull him and find a more deserving dake destined for the dinner table on CL or at auction on which to dote and give a life of leisure.

Next time you hatch, it might be better to incubate in numbers that are more sure to give more than one duckling. It will help lessen the chance of this happening again.

Best of luck!

3. DuckieMom1

DuckieMom1 New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    I had a feeli g he thinks I should be his mate, ugg we normally hate multiples but he came ahead of others so I attached to him. I feel soo bad

4. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    Aw, it's okay. I understand that. Things like that happen. Imprinted ducks don't always turn out that way either. Sometimes it's fine and everything's just peachy. It depends on both what you do and how the duck decides to respond to it based on instinct and choice IMO. I'm sorry.

Maybe someone else will see this thread who've "rehabbed" a confused duck like this. Just because I haven't heard of it happening doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. DuckieMom1

DuckieMom1 New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Sorry meant we usually mate multiples

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by