Ducks

Jennifer sponseller

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2017
Wat kind r they
20171021_190836.jpg

I think you're going to have to wait until they're fully feathered, but I bet they're muscovies: the white looks like he has barring. I've never heard of any duck with barring that wasn't a muscovy or a wood duck. Further, he has the same coloration as my muscovy barreds used to have.

If I'm wrong, I'm very curious about what they turn out to be.

When I got them I was told they we're wood ducks but I wanted to make sure cuz it was a private sale. He said they we're 4 wks old n that was sept 24. They we're diff sizes even now they still r n idk how to tell if they r male or female

I thought all wood ducks were undomesticated? I'd really like to see adult pictures.

And trying to sex ducks from drakes requires either a professional or six months of growth.

If they are eight weeks old, they should have a lot more feathering, assuming they're getting grain. I've seen five-week khaki campbells with more feathers than that.

After an image search of barred wood ducks--I'm pretty sure you have muscovies.

I could be wrong, obviously. I hobby-raise campbell crosses, pekins, 'scovies, and mallards. I have no experience with ducks outside of these breeds. But muscovies are the most common type of unwanted duckling due to the hugely broody mothers. I've seen them go for $0.50 apeice down at the auction.

The ducklings in your picture are (at most) a week old. I'd guess four days. After about a week, the bill begins to noticeably lengthen, giving a more adult look.

On the positive side of things: muscovy males get very noticeable red faces and bald skin around the beak. Sexing should be fairly simple.

I'd say between four and eight weeks, depending on feed, warmth, light conditions, breed--the list goes on. We don't feed our mallards, and the ducklings take about a month before you see any feathers at all. I've seen ducks fed on high-protein gamebird feed and they have feathers by the middle of week three.

Well they have plenty of grain n water they can get to at any time during the day. They r outside wen its nice out in a pen. At night they come in the house in a play pen well pack n play wit a light n a blanket to cover half of it to keep the heat in

Back
Top Bottom